Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Keeping Promises

Conversations always seem to revolve, at some time or another, around food - Where do you like to eat? What do you like to eat? What is your favorite dish to prepare?  So it came as no surprise to me that many of the young ones here in León love Italian food - doesn't everyone? Of course, their favorite dish is Lasagna. Often the conversation would go something like this: 

What is your favorite food? 
Oh, I like Italian food. 
Oh, me too! What do you like the most?
Lasagna
I like Lasagna too!
Have you ever made it?
Oh, yes. I used to make it all the time in Canada.
You did? Oh, can you show me???
Sure. I can show you, but we have to wait for the weather to cool down so that I can turn the oven on.......

Well, the weather never did cool down enough for me to turn on the oven.  That's right - I have had an oven since last March and I have never turned it on  - not even to try it out! So.... since we will be moving in less than 2 weeks it was time for me to honor my promise to show the young girls in our congregation how to make lasagna. The plan was that Thalia and I would go to La Union to pick up everything that we needed for the big event and then everyone would show up around 2 pm to help prepare it.
Debbie & Thalia at La Union buying ingredients for the lasagna
Everyone had an assignment:

Mariela and Elfa preparing cheese and onions
Fanny chopping garlic, Debbie preparing the sauce

Elfa, Francinette, Hazel, Fanny and Mariela putting the layers together

ooops, we seem to be short some pasta!
Clowning around waiting for the pasta

the finished product

After a false start - I couldn't get the oven to work and had to wait for Pat to figure out the problem. We haven't had a gas stove in a long time and I forgot that there was a pilot light. The electric lighter doesn't work on the oven but thankfully, we had some matches! So..... after an hour our lovely lasagna was ready and everyone enjoyed the fruits of their labor!

Francinette, Hazel and Fanny enjoying their lasagna


1 comment:

  1. You are a brave women turning the oven on in these temperatures!! I refuse to even learn how to light it as I've never had a gas stove before. So glad that you did this though, the girls are always talking about lasagna. Looks like it was worth the effort--and the heat!

    ReplyDelete